Thursday 27 June 2013

Visual Merchandising

I have an interview a week today for a Visual Merchandising Assistant Manager, how scary and exciting. I know my chances are slim, in fact very slim, as I do not have much experience. But hey, if you don't try, you'll never know, right?

So I've been doing some research, and I am really liking what I read, one blog I found Diary of a Visual Merchandiser is definitely worth a visit if your interested in visual merchandising as a career. She uploaded a video about the job, which is great and actually made me lol. (it does take the mick, however, is worth a watch!)


So there are many elements to the job, one of the important ones is the store's window. The window of a store, is to showcase the brand, it is a silent sales person. I searched #visualmerchandising on Instagram, and it brought up loads of photos. I had a quick look through, and these are a few that caught my eye, which is the whole point isn't it? Catch our eye, attract us to enter the store and spend our dollar. 










The future of visual merchandising? Digital and filmed images? More interactive due to technology advances and the popularity of social media? I don't think actual products or mannequins can be replaced tho, as letting the product do the talking is the best way to promote it. So maybe the above things will just help enhance the power of visual merchandising making it more entertaining. 

From now on, any visual merchandising I see that is inspirational, or that I think 'wow' I am going to start taking a picture of it so that I can put together an 'inspiration folder/ book.' And any visual merchandising that I actually do, I will take a pic, for evidence and start a portfolio! This is great advice from Diary of a Visual Merchandiser, which I am going to take on board! 

So what do you think, is visual merchandising for you? Or if this is already your career, do you love it? Any tips for me ;-) 

x


No comments: